General Corporate Law
The Washington Nonprofit Handbook is an informative manual that provides guidance on many legal issues facing nonprofit organizations in Washington State including:
- How to form a nonprofit
- Governance and operations
- Obtaining recognition as a 501(c)(3) organization
- Maintaining federal tax-exempt status
- International activities and grantmaking
- Washington State taxes
- Fiscal sponsorships, joint ventures, and other collaborations
- Employment issues
- Intellectual property issues
- Ceasing operations
This Handbook references the following forms and templates that may be useful to nonprofits and their attorneys:
- Form Articles of Incorporation for a Washington State nonprofit organization without members.
- Form Bylaws for a Washington State nonprofit organization without members.
- Form Conflict of Interest Policy for nonprofit organization.
WAACO’s Nonprofit Legal Self-Assessment Checklist helps nonprofits understand common legal obligations and highlights areas where greater inquiry should be made. This resources is being revised and is not available at this time.
The sample agreements linked to below are forms that secure a nonprofit’s rights to intellectual property - Please note these are only sample agreements or templates, and do not cover all potential circumstances an organization may face. It is always advisable for a nonprofit organization to consult with a knowledgeable attorney to assure that any agreement is tailored to the particular needs of the organization:
- Independent Contractor – Employee Checklist
- Form Intellectual property and Confidentiality Agreement
- Form Release of Intellectual Property Rights