General Corporate Law
The Washington Nonprofit Handbook is an informative manual that provides guidance on many legal issues facing nonprofit organizations in Washington State including:
- How to form a nonprofit
- Governance and operations
- Obtaining recognition as a 501(c)(3) organization
- Maintaining federal tax-exempt status
- International activities and grantmaking
- Washington State taxes
- Fiscal sponsorships, joint ventures, and other collaborations
- Employment issues
- Intellectual property issues
- Ceasing operations
This Handbook references the following forms and templates that may be useful to nonprofits and their attorneys:
- Form Articles of Incorporation for a Washington State nonprofit organization without members.
- Form Bylaws for a Washington State nonprofit organization without members.
- Form Conflict of Interest Policy for nonprofit organization.
WAACO’s Nonprofit Legal Self-Assessment Checklist helps nonprofits understand common legal obligations and highlights areas where greater inquiry should be made.
The sample agreements linked to below are forms that secure a nonprofit’s rights to intellectual property - Please note these are only sample agreements or templates, and do not cover all potential circumstances an organization may face. It is always advisable for a nonprofit organization to consult with a knowledgeable attorney to assure that any agreement is tailored to the particular needs of the organization:
- Independent Contractor – Employee Checklist
- Form Intellectual property and Confidentiality Agreement
- Form Release of Intellectual Property Rights