What We Do
Washington Attorneys Assisting Community Organizations provides pro bono legal assistance to nonprofits on business-transactional matters.
- Nonprofit Formation - Incorporation and application for Federal tax exemption status under IRS Code sec. 501(c)(3).
- Corporate Governance – Preparing and revising bylaws; creating articles of incorporation; creating conflict of interest policies; creating whistleblower policies, and creating other corporate documents and policies; and advising on good corporate governance.
- 501(c)(3) Maintenance and Compliance - Advice on maintaining 501(c)(3) status, including unrelated business income and compliance with lobbying restrictions.
- Taxes - Advice regarding federal, state, and local taxes.
- Contracts - Drafting and advising on business contracts.
- Employment - Preparing, reviewing and revising personnel policies, employment contracts, and confidentiality agreements. However, we do not provide assistance on employment litigation matters.
- Real Estate - Help with property leases and purchase and sale agreements.
- Intellectual Property - Assistance with registering trademarks, and advising on copyright protection, license agreements, or website-related agreements. However, we do not provide assistance on patent matters.
- Risk and Liability Assessment – Assistance on risk and liability assessment including waiver and release forms, and advice on insurance coverage.
- Federal Tax-Exempt Status - Assistance in incorporating and filing for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status.
What We Do Not Do
- Litigation Matters - WAACO does not provide assistance on litigation matters.
- Individual Claims against Nonprofits - WAACO does not provide assistance to individuals with their pursuit of claims against nonprofit and community organizations.
- Legal Matters for Individuals - WAACO does not provide assistance to individuals in their personal legal matters in areas such as family law, immigration, foreclosure, bankruptcy, etc.
- Legal Advice Over the Phone - WAACO does not provide legal advice over the phone. We are not a “hotline” service. We only provide legal assistance upon receiving a written application. However, we are available to answer questions about the application process over the phone or by email.